Economics essays are everyday tasks in colleges. Students get these assignments, as the bases of economics are mandatory for everyone. As a result, essays on economics topics are familiar to everyone. It is an opportunity for a tutor to ensure that the student will research the important topic thoroughly. There is no other approach if you need high grades for such papers.
What is an economics essay in schools and colleges
The economics essay is a specific thematic essay that demands you to make in-depth research on some economics subjects. It can be a paper of any type – and argumentative essay, an exposition essay, or even a narrative essay. It is the field of your research that will unite all those types.
The structure of an essay in economics
The standard college essay consists of three parts, and the economics essay is not an exclusion. There are parts that you have to compose:
- The Introduction part is the area where you will explain the essay topic to the audience. Also, the Introduction part serves to provide the audience with the information they need to apprehend your economics essay. If your subject requires some specific knowledge, you must give your readers or listeners some basics in the first couple of paragraphs.
- The thesis statement is a part of the Introduction, but we need to distinguish it separately here. The thesis statement is the essence of your essay. In this meaningful fragment, you need to define the economics issues you research and the ideas you will prove. This part is concise, it usually consists of a couple of sentences, but it has to be very clear.
- The Body part of an economics essay covers most of your text. In this part, you have to explore your thesis statement and prove your ideas. The Body parts of most college essays include three paragraphs. In each of them, you should provide your claim, support it by evidence and citations, and make a mini-conclusion. Hence, each section is a meaningful and complete mini-text itself. Note that all the paragraphs must be logically connected and related to the Introduction.
- Many essays on economics effects examine their positive aspects in the first Body paragraph. The second paragraph is about the negative sides, and the third paragraph will examine mutual influence.
- The Conclusion part demands that you return to the Introduction and thesis statement and evaluate how well you’ve explored them in your essay. You need to underline your results and consider additional arguments that will make your statements even stronger. Also, the Conclusion part is where you offer a bigger context of an issue for your audience to view the full picture and make their own judgments.
The Introduction part is the opening of your essay, and the Conclusion part is its closing. However, all guidelines recommend to write them together after you complete the Body part. This way, you can define the essential points and approaches in your text and consider how to present them most efficiently.
How to write an economics essay – efficient methods and hints
This essay type is exceptionally demanding for the proper exposition of the topic and logical connections. Economics is a science where you need to understand all the causes and their effects very well. So, to write a decent essay worth high grades, you have to pay lots of effort.
Consider the task requirements
You must understand the task and its conditions precisely. When you get the assignment, read it very carefully, and ensure that you get all the demands. If there are vague fragments, or you have any doubts, don’t ignore them. Consult your professor and clarify each detail.
Pay your special attention to the keywords of the assignment – they will help you to understand which aspects you should examine. An economics essay can be a sophisticated task, and you would not want to spoil your performance because of an improper understanding of the requirements.
Choose the appropriate topic
It is the general rule: appealing topics make all the job more exciting. It would be your best advantage if you could choose the subject yourself. Even if the general direction is set by the professor, you can select some specific issues to research.
If you have a strict topic to explore, analyze it:
- Is it one question only, or can you break it down to sub-questions to get more specific data?
- Is it a well-known area, or you can be a pioneer in it?
- Are there standard approaches to the issue?
- Can you find the most appealing ideas in this topic to expose them?
Your interest is the key if you need to present a high-quality work. So, even if the topic does not appeal to you in general, try to find some personal challenge in it. One of the most efficient approaches is to explore the idea in a bigger context. For instance, you might investigate the influence on some economics factor on society, or research the same economics ideas in different historical periods.
One more factor that you should consider is how you can impress your audience. You write an essay in economics to demonstrate how well you’ve understood the subject. But it is not the only goal – you also need to explain it to the audience. Hence, you should choose the topic that you can be authoritative about and make it appealing to your audience.
Research the subject and analyze the data
The economics essay is intolerable to incorrect facts and logical discrepancies. To collect the information on your topic, you need to refer to the established sources only. In many cases, the textbooks won’t cover all your requests, but they can become a good start for further researches.
If you search the Web for the most recent studies in economics, pay attention to their lists of references – those sources will be excellent for you. Besides, your essay is a research paper, and you must provide the bibliography for it. It is mostly prohibited to use the “indirect” references that you found in some other work. You need to get to the original works and cite them.
When you gather all the necessary information, analyze it. You might get many facts matching your goals, but you have to sort them. A standard college essay is not extensive, and you won’t be able to use all the data in it. So, choose the most persuasive evidence, and give preference to the results of the latest studies.
Create an essay outline to get the scheme of the paper
An essay outline is a “sketch” of the full paper. It helps you to give shape to your ideas about the essay and build its structure. With the proper outline, you can understand which data you will include in your economics essay, and in which order. The scheme will also let you develop all the logical connections between the fragments.
The usual method is the following:
- Choose the critical points of your essay and make a general plan.
- “Explore” these points by adding details.
- Assign proving citations to your statements.
- Check the logical connections – you can use different visual means for that.
- Consider the Introduction and Conclusion parts and what you will stress there.
In general, a comprehensive outline of an essay is the major part of the task done. There you can play with the elements, choose the best arguments and supporting evidence, and change their order to try different “models.” You can even select the most suitable words and phrases. Besides, it is much easier to fix some issues or adjust the contents in the outline and not in the ready text.
Having a complete outline will let you “imagine” your essay with all its details. Then you can write the entire economics essay down.
H3: Note the formatting requirements and ensure that your economics essay meets them
- First of all, check the style requirements for your essay. The format of the text is similar in all styles. Still, it is different when you deal with the citations and bibliography.
- You must note all your references and format them accordingly. Otherwise, you may get plagiarized work that will only get you into trouble. Make sure that the list includes all sources you referred to in the essay, but don’t mention more sources. A considerable bibliography list won’t bring you benefits. Besides, the professor will notice the absence of real references in that list.
- Refer to the formatting styles manuals and track the in-text direct and indirect citations. Check all the details like the brackets, numbers, commas, etc. Then ensure to format the informational strings for each source in the bibliography list in the necessary style.
Examples of economics essay topics for your consideration
Here we’ve collected some ideas for the essay from the main categories. You might use them directly, or alter to suit your intentions better.
- Main financial markets of the world
- Pricing policies on the current markets
- The shadow economy and its impacts on the global economy.
- The economics of sports: the most profitable games and marginal sports.
- Is there a chance for a small business to survive in competition with a large corporation?
- What is the crowdfunding model, and how can it work?
- The impacts of mobile technologies on the global economy.
- How did Facebook become a significant force in the global economy?
- The role of labor unions in different countries.
- The history of European economic development.
- How creative approach can help to get more profit.
- The new trends in demand.
- Comparison of unemployment levels in the USA and Europe.
- The new patterns in consuming.
- The problem of gambling and its impact on economics.
- The reasons for the crime level increase in the growing economy.
- What effect does the raise of minimum wage produce on the economy?
- The emotional impact on the buying patterns.
- The problem of unequal wages of men and women.
- Healthcare economics.
- How to plan the family budget.
- How to minimize taxes.
- What are the main challenges for local small businesses?
- How to start your own business.
- Which are the most efficient ways to improve the profitability of local stores?
- Positive and negative effects of social media on local businesses.
- 10 ideas for ads campaigns.
- How to calculate the right price.
- Comparison of prices of organic food vs. mass-produced food.
- How to diminish customers’ returns of purchased items.
Though writing an economics essay can be a tricky task, it is feasible by all means. The key is your preparation. And our recommendations will help you to collect and manage the data to compose an excellent essay!