Sociology is one of the most interesting sciences because it engages all the spheres of our lives and shows the relationship of every individual within society. It touches such topics as communities and religion, conflicts and behavior of minorities, and much more. Sociology is tightly connected with psychology, politics, and many other spheres. That is why writing a sociology paper is a rather common task not depending on what your major is.
When working on the assignment students need to use a multidisciplinary approach, understand the topic, and be able to find connections between tens of definitions and terms.
How is it possible to manage the assignment when there are multiple other tasks, social life, and chores? Our experienced writers shared their tips on writing a sociology paper. Now you won’t have to worry about the task because you’ll have all the necessary tools. And if you lack motivation, there is always a writer ready to help.
Sociology paper structure
Sticking to a common structure helps students to unfold their thoughts in a clear and understandable manner and to give readers a chance to follow the ideas without any confusion.
Here are the sections your sociology paper should contain:
- Body paragraphs;
Start your sociology paper with a catchy phrase or an interesting fact. Hook the reader and make him want to learn more about the issue. Drive the interest of the audience and it will be much easier to share your ideas.
After writing the main question, present the situation in general and explain why the topic should be discussed. Finish your introduction with a strong thesis that would be backed with every argument in the paper.
Body paragraphs are the skeleton of your sociology paper and occupy 80% of the text. Here is where you need to provide all the arguments and evidence. Try to surprise the audience with interesting and fresh data, amazing facts, and statistics. When working on a sociology paper it is important to back theories with evidence and clear data.
Even if the topic is general, make sure to find statistics, facts, surveys, and charts. Use only reputable sources, governmental reports, and official publications to make your paper truthful and honest.
Everybody paragraph should start with a claim or an argument, and followed with evidence. Finish each paragraph with ideas on what the findings can mean for the research. Don’t forget to explain how the data correlates with the thesis.
In the final part of the sociology paper students need to summarize all the points that were discussed in the statement. Never introduce new ideas or open-ended questions. Focus on the things that you have found out throughout the research and remind readers of the main issues you wanted to address. Finish conclusion with a hook sentence, prognosis or a call-to-action.
Tips on writing a flawless sociology paper
Now, when you know what sections a sociology paper must consist of, it’s the right time to discuss the main tips that would earn you the highest grade. They include:
- Before choosing the topic, read examples online. This will help to boost your creativity and choose a topic that meets the teacher’s requirements and your own interests;
- Indicate your argument loud and clear. And place it in the first paragraph;
- Always make an outline before writing the first pages of your sociology paper;
- Never underestimate the introduction and conclusion. They make an impression about your paper and the reader may not want to continue if the beginning is boring;
- To make sure you understand how the paper should look like, download examples of various works. Thus, you’ll never miss a single paragraph and your sociology paper will be smooth and interesting;
- Every argument should be backed with real facts and statistics;
- Divide information into subheadings. In such a way your paper will be structured and easier to read;
- Try to limit the number of direct quotes that you use. Paraphrase them and then check the quote for plagiarism. The last thing you need is explaining to your teacher why your sociology paper contains plagiarism;
- Avoid passive voice to make your text vivid and active;
- Even if the topic is quite simple and modern it is better to use academic style. Stick to general constructions like ‘After considering the obtained results, we can state that…’ or ‘Despite the evidence of…’;
- Provide historical background even if the topic relates to the modern world. This will give readers a better understanding of the context and will improve their knowledge on the subject.
Work on the outline
The importance of an outline is often underestimated. That is why we decided to devote a separate section to this important stage. Did you know that there are different outline variants, which you can use when writing a sociology paper? We’ll tell about the three most popular options and you will be able to choose the most suitable one:
- The traditional outline. You are surely familiar with this format: all the elements are given in a list of sections with Roman numerals and subheadings with Arabic numerals or capital letters. This structure is rather convenient and can be applied if you know what you’re going to discuss;
- The post-draft outline. This format includes not only outlining but also brainstorming. For example, when you already have a few general ideas of what to discuss but they are still not clearly shaped, you can just write several paragraphs that are centered around the main idea and see what concepts meet the topic. The point of the post-draft outline is to put your thoughts on paper and see which direction they will take you. After the paragraphs are written, you just need to make a list of the key ideas;
- The conceptual outline. This approach is perfect for those, who want to have a clearer picture of the future sociology paper. It acts as a flow chart: you need to draw rectangles that represent the main points of the future text. Then you need to draw circles that would represent evidence and sources for every theme. Thus, you’ll see every argument clearer and will understand which topics should be discussed and which – avoided. This style is perfect for writing literature reviews.
It doesn’t matter which outline format you will choose for the future work – just make sure that it gives you fun, excitement, and joy. And if you don’t like the subject or feel lost, our writers are always ready to cover your back and guide along the way.
Mistakes to avoid
Here are the most common mistakes that students make when working on a sociology paper:
- Discussing too many issues of the problem. Readers will easily lose interest and won’t be able to follow your ideas;
- Arguments in the body paragraphs don’t meet the thesis statement;
- Spelling, grammar, and punctuation mistakes;
- Not being objective;
- Irrelevant information;
- Breaking the cause-effect connection.
The best sociology topics
There are literally millions of sociology topics because each event, issue or problem involves this interesting science. We have made a list of the most popular and required topics among students that ask us for help. They include:
- The family;
- Race and ethnicity;
- Social media;
- Teenage cultures;
- Food sociology;
- Cults and clans;
- Social movements;
- Class inequalities;
- Legends and superstitions;
As you see, each topic is rather broad, so you should come up with three or four arguments instead of trying to cover every part of the issue. Choose the question and hypotheses that will resonate with your topic and class.
Paper’s example: How can Megan Markle change the Royal Family
The marriage of Megan Markle and Prince Harry took place in May 2018 and had considerable differences with the protocols concerning the royal marriage. Whether they want it or not, society will compare a divorced American with Wallis Simpson. As you remember that marriage leads to the 1936 abdication crisis.
Since that crisis, the Royal Family has significantly changed and even had to overcome a few troubling moments that could bring down the whole concept of the institution. Now, the appearance of Meghan Markle is threatening to make the same significant impact and bring serious changes.
In the essay, we will discuss some of these changes and evaluate how Prince Harry’s choice of the bride may have an impact not only on the British Royal Family but also on the whole world. It is not a secret that Megan Markle with her ethnicity, nationality, personality, and career is radically different from all the traditions and conventions of the royal wife. Thus, she’ll have a huge impact on modernization and depicting the Royal Family.
Studying sociology is fun and rewarding. It helps to understand people, communities, and processes that happen around us. Unfortunately, students are snowed under multiple assignments and not always have time to write a paper even if it is interesting.
If you feel the pressure of curriculum, don’t know where to find reliable sources or just want to take a time-out from the classes, shoot us a message. We’ll help you to solve academic problems with ease!